Pickleball is a fun and engaging sport that has been on the rise in recent years. It's a great way to get outside and exercise when you want something different than the usual routine. The best part is that it doesn't require much equipment or money so anyone can join in! If you want to get started with pickleball but don't know where to start, this blog post will give you all of the information that you need!
Pickleball Quick Facts
1. The sport is played on a badminton sized court
2. Players are equipped with paddles which are similar to ping pong racquets
3. A pickleball measures two inches in diameter and weighs about one ounce
4. You can find everything that you need for the game right here on Badminton Warehouse
5. You can play with or without a net. If you want to use one, it's best for the shorter players and kids so they don't have as far to reach up
6. To start the game, the server hits the ball to their opponent who then returns it back. The point continues until there is a miss
7. You can play singles or doubles matches (or even mixed if you want!) and games last either 21 points with players switching every nine points or 11 with players staying on one side for an extended period of time
How to Play Pickleball?
Pickleball is similar in some ways to tennis, but it's much easier and more fun. You can play with or without a net (if you use one, shorter players will find it easier because the net is lower than at tennis). There are some differences between pickleball and other racquet sports, which can be found here.
Pickleball is played with a paddle that's similar to the paddles you use in ping pong but larger (about 14 inches long) and heavier (usually about 12 ounces), so it has more of a ping pong feel. The ball is a little smaller than a tennis or racquetball, but heavier – it's about the size of a grapefruit and weighs almost an ounce.
The court for pickleball is usually around 40×20 feet long (similar to that used for volleyball) and 20′ wide with no singles sideline on either side. However, you can also play pickleball on a standard badminton court if the net is lowered to 34″ high in the center and 28″ at either end (these dimensions are for indoor courts).
The server hits a serve over the net toward their opponent's service line. The point continues until there is a miss – there is no out of bounds on a pickleball court.
To start the game, you have to serve from your right hand side and return serves with your forehand (you can also play by receiving all left-handed). If one player gets four points in a row, they earn service as well. Games are played up to 11 points, but you must win by at least 2 points. So if the match is tied at 10-10, the winner must win at least 12-10 or more. Otherwise, the match will go up to 15 points.
Pickleball is a great sport for all ages and skill levels, so don't wait to join in the fun! Everyone can find something that they enjoy doing, whether it's just hitting around or playing at a competitive level. The best part is that you only need four people (or two teams of two) to play – but you can have as many people or teams on the court as you want.
Pickleball Equipment for Beginners
1. Paddles - Check out some of our best selling paddles here.
Wilson Pickleball Paddles - https://www.badmintonwarehouse.com/collections/wilson-pickleball-paddles
Babolat Pickleball Paddles - https://www.badmintonwarehouse.com/collections/babolat-pickleball-paddles
2. Balls - You can also pick up some pickleballs here.
Photo Indoor Pickleballs - https://www.badmintonwarehouse.com/products/photon-indoor-pickleball?variant=20106184261750
3. A net (optional) - To get the best experience, we highly suggest finding a local gym with pickleball courts set up!
Give Pickleball a Try
Thanks for reading this introductory article about pickleball. If you don't have any gear already, make sure you pick up some gear from Badminton Warehouse and I hope you're encouraged to get started with pickleball!